Monday, February 21, 2011

How To: Use a 1892 Cast Iron Waffleiron


This is something totally different from my jewelry work. I love to cook, and breakfast is one of my favorite meals. Anyone out there every pick up one of these babies from the antique store, or find one in Grandmas garage?
Meet my waffle iron:

This is one of my favorite cooking items partly due to novelty partly because it works so well. Its got a patent day of May 2, 1892 on it. So specific!  
Its a real beauty with turned wood handles and a cast iron holder. But it took me a while to figure out how to use it. As in I would try and then my waffle would get stuck and i would have to clean it out with a toothpick. Because I love all of you and want you all to be able to enjoy your old waffle iron. Make sure its clean of dust and grossness first, then heat up both sides of the waffle iron on the stove. Because the waffle iron is so heavy i add the egg yolks with the liquids and then beat the eggwhites to stiff and carefully incorperate into the batter. It adds extra air and fluffiness to the batter.

I always brush on a light layer of vegtable oil. Even though it is seasoned at this point, I never ever want to pick waffle out with a toothpick EVER again. Plus, it makes it crispier.

Before adding better toss a few drop of water on the iron, and if it splatters away it should be warm enough. Pour in your batter and you should hear it sizzle.

Take the other side of the iron, put it on quick and turn the waffle right away.
Flip it back over after a minute or two. Sometimes I have to flip it a few times before its cooked-but i like mine crispy on the outside. I wait until the steam is mostly gone.

Sometimes I add a slice of raw bacon to the batter before I close the iron.  The waffles stay much crispier than your usual teflon coated waffle irons create.

Bacon waffles? omnomnomnom

 Or, add peaches frozen during the summer, chopped walnuts and a bit of whipped cream.
See? This is what good food (and old fashioned waffle irons) make people feel:


Anyone else have a favorite archaic kitchen utensil? My other favorite is the meat grinder...you can make a mean cranberry relish with hardly any effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment