Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New Year, New Stuff, New Attempt to Blog

 Hello there! It has been a while, hasn't it? Well, you every not do something for a wihle, then feel guilty about not doing then avoid it because you feel bad? yeah, thats me an blogging. Plus, work was crazy for a few months, but it looks like I'm going back to being a poor artist with a night time kitchen job again (how did i end up here again?) so, I'll have time to blog! yay!

So what have I been up to? Well, jewelery making was great during December. I've almost been keeping my hands in the dirt (so to speak) at the farm. Remember I got a ram in September? no? did i not ?...oh well. So I got me a ram in September and he was only 7 months, not proven yet, kinda small, but his bloodlines looked good and he was soooo handsome so I took a gamble on buying him. Once we got John to the farm we let him loose. He had spent all weekend next to a ewe in heat and was rarin' to go, so he immediately chased the girls around. and around. and around....in circles. The poor llama was so confused about what was upsetting the herd! she was just chasing everyone! It was like watching a benny hill skit. Anyway, almost 4 months later we are expecting lambs.

 Isn't John cute with his freckles?
 Gonna be so handsome....
 He's got crazy eyes though with the different sized spots. He's learning from Wilda to be friendly.
 Now, like I said, he's not proven, but I know he tried. Sparkles was the first to submit to his manly demeanor, so assuming that he was actually cycling when he arrived we should be expecting from her on the 16th. Its my first time doing this and with limited means so really we should have kept John away from them for another two weeks so they lambed in early march, but its been really mild this year so we may luck out with weather...and maybe the grass will start growing again early, too.

We arn't going to shear them until May. Shawn had some bad experiences with that once before and Oregon weather is strange. I say let them keep their coats until it actually is warm. But for the lambs they needed to be shaven on their bellies so the lambs can reach their teats. He did that yesterday and said they weren't flat (so they are pregnant), but they arn't full yet. Halfway full, so he thinks a few more days at least. I was expecting fatter looking sheep so I am glad to hear their teats are filling. Way to go John! you did your job! Expect cute lamb pictures soon.

As I said, I have been doing jewelry, too. Here are a few pieces I've completeled recently.

Rough Spectrolite Ring

Cacoxenite Amethyst Cuff

Turquoise Nuggest and Pearls Necklace and Matching Earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment