Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Casting Success

It has been a whole year since I cast, and sadly my first cast failed. Thus, those waxes from my previous post are no more and need to be recarved. However, I have wanted to experiement with casting octopus tenticles. You see, I found one in the garbage at the Japanese resturant I worked and thought it had great texture. So I asked the sushi chefs to save the tip instead of throwing it out. I finally saved up enough to make a setting with.  After ruining my first casting, i had success casting the tenticle. It worked! So I built a small setting out of tenticles and had another successful casting. Thank goodness I did, because I didnt have enough extra to make another cast with! The piece has a long way to go, but I think it will look great when its done.

The basic idea

Detail on back

Revealing the silver under the pickle

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen anything like that in silver before. Wonder what people will think of it in 100 years.